Joseph was the British Empire's most westerly outpost; destroyed by the Americans in 1812 when British forces left to take Fort Michilimackinac; the ruins of the fortifications and the archaeological resources on the site reveal the complex aspects of military, domestic and commercial life (both Aboriginal and European) in a frontier outpost During the War of 1812, American forces crossed the Detroit River and used the house as headquarters for their invasion; when the Americans retreated one month later, the Bâby House was occupied by British forces under Major-General Isaac Brock, who built an artillery battery on the property and used it to open fire on Fort Detroit An excellent intact example of the type of mansion erected by wealthy Canadians in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, with the general layout of the site remaining as it was originally laid out by the Olmsted Brothers House associated with two of the most prominent forest industry families in the Ottawa Valley, the Mc Lachlins and the Gillies; surrounded by one of the few remaining accessible woodlots containing significant stands of old growth Ottawa Valley White Pine House designed by architect Thomas Hanley for J. C Phillips, a wealthy Belleville banker and financier; an excellent representative example of the Second Empire style popular among the upper middle class in late 19th-century Canada The ruins of the residence of Lieutenant Colonel John Macdonell, a pioneer in the settlement of Ontario, first Speaker of the Legislative Assembly of Upper Canada, and a hero of the Battle of Queenston Heights Site at the junction of the Nottawasaga River and Marl Creek, where in 1814 the Glengarry Light Infantry Fencibles, under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel Robert Mc Douall, constructed a flotilla of boats to relieve the British garrison at Fort Michilimackinac and to effect the subsequent capture of Prairie du Chien during the War of 1812A two-storey, limestone building built in the Renaissance Revival style, it is an excellent example of a multi-functional city hall, which contained the market, fire hall, police office and jail, library, a reading room, a large public hall, along with town offices and a council chamber; symbolic of Guelph's mid-19th-century confidence following the arrival of the Grand Trunk Railway in the community The USS Hamilton and USS Scourge were two merchant schooners pressed into service by the Americans in the War of 1812, both of which capsized and sank in a sudden squall; the ships are in remarkable condition at the underwater wreckage site and are rare examples of surviving War of 1812 vessels The first Protestant church in Upper Canada, now the oldest surviving church in Ontario, and one of only two Royal Chapels in Canada; symbolic of the important role played by the Loyalist Mohawks in the development of the province A two-storey fieldstone residence built for Dr.Solomon Jones, a prominent Loyalist; the house reflects the lifestyle of a prominent rural professional in the early 19th century and its design uniquely melds the Palladian style and the rural architectural traditions of nearby Quebec A house museum associated with the migration of German Mennonites from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania to Waterloo County in the early 19th century, and illustrative of the typical Mennonite house plan from the period One of the most significant centres of early habitation and ceremonial burial in Canada, with evidence of 5,000 years of human habitation, including burial mounds from the Laurel and Blackduck cultures; a cultural and historic focal point for the Rainy Lake and River Bands of Saulteaux Built for Roderick Matheson, a local merchant and politician, the house is a good example of an affluent, pre-Confederation residence; it occupies a key position in one of the best surviving historic streetscapes in Canada, and now serves as the Perth Museum A very early and nationally significant example of the Gothic Revival style in Canada; associated with the early government of the province, as the site of the building was proposed by John Graves Simcoe for the provincial capital19th-century buildings associated with the second Hudson's Bay Company post in Canada; after the 1821 merger with the North West Company, Moose Factory became the supply point for posts inland as far as Lake Timiskaming The site where the Norfolk volunteer militia routed a band of American marauders who had been pillaging area farms and terrorizing the country, an exploit that inspired the British military forces and the people of Upper Canada during the War of 1812; now the location of the Nanticoke Generating Station An early Ontario example of a combination town hall and market, and a rare extant example in Canada of a town hall in the Greek Revival style; symbolic of the development of local government in Ontario in the 19th century A simple fieldstone chapel, now part of the North American Black Historical Museum complex; it has an important association with Bishop Willis Nazery, the first leader of a wholly Canadian denomination (the British Methodist Episcopal Church) founded by Underground Railroad refugees Built by United Empire Loyalist settlers, it is the oldest surviving Methodist building in Canada and is associated with the role played by Methodists in Upper Canada’s early development; a significant element of the history of the United Church of Canada A residential estate developed between 19 by Canadian industrialist Samuel Mc Laughlin; among the finest and most intact surviving examples of Canadian architectural and landscape design, featuring the work of Pearson and Darling, Frances Loring, John M.The five largest clusters are listed separately: There are related federal designations for National Historic Events and National Historic Persons.Events, Sites, and Persons are each typically marked by a federal plaque, but the markers do not indicate which designation a subject has been given.
The Chapleau Crown Game Preserve encompasses 2 million acres (700,000 hectares) making it the largest crown game preserve in the world.
In 1751, Repentigny (a Frenchmen who married a native woman) established a small post near the rapids and named it after himself (Repentigny).
His leading assistant was Métis, Jean Baptiste Cadot, a local trader who was married to the daughter of the resident chief (one of the first marriages on record).
Marie and to the North Country above Lake Superior.
A mixed population of Europeans, Native Americans, First Nations peoples and Métis lived in the village spanning the river.